Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Why I like Wii Fit

I am currently running with Wii Fit.  It may not work for other people, but it seems to motivate me, and that's my main issue.

My main routine, is to take a 20 or 30 minute Free Run around Wii Island.  This is in the Aerobics section of Wii Fit.  You don't need the balance board for this, or any equipment, just the remote in your pocket, or maybe in your hand.  I run around the concrete floor of my basement, I may even run up the stairs, through through the upstairs or my home (if nobody else is home).

The Wii is wireless, so it keeps track of my movements throughout the house. So if I slow down or put down the remote, I stop hearing my little footsteps from the Wii, and I know I am not working hard enough.  I'll also get a message saying I have an uneven pace or something like that, and at the end my efficiency will be given a per centage and ranked.  Sometimes it goes up or down. So I get three types of feedback, which keeps me going.  If I were just following a DVD or on my exercise bike, I might slow down, or take a break.  Not so with the Wii, I actually break a sweat.

At the moment, I am not bothering with the other Wii exercises, although they offer yoga, strength training, aerobics and other games.  They are all fun and worth trying though.

One of the problems with starting with the Wii fit, is that it takes too long to set up your Mii character, do the initial weigh-in and balance testing and so on.  Also, you need to earn Wii Fit points by doing exercises, before you can unlock the better exercises like the Wii Free run.  Be patient, or get your kids to start the boring stuff for you.  Once you get to the Free Run, you can run around Wii Island, and switch back to watching regular TV.  The Wii continues to track your progress and give you feedback through the hand-held remote.  I'm tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment