Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Adventures in Mom Jeans

I have been trying to improve my jeans selections.  I do wear mom jeans, but I try to choose flattering jeans.  For me, length is also an issue.  Here's what I know about jeans.

According to Wikipediea "Mom jeans is a humorously pejorative term for a fit of women's jeans considered very unflattering. The style usually consists of a high waist (above the belly button), which accentuates a flat curvature of the buttocks, as well as generous cuts in the stomach and leg. The jeans are usually in a light-blue solid coloring with no form of stone washing or fading. Other attributes of the style often seen are pleated fronts, tapered legs and elastic waistbands. The style is often accompanied by a blouse or shirt that is tucked into the jeans".  Well that describes my favourite styles of jeans.  I like my slightly paunchy stomach covered, and I like the loose fit on my thigh to knee area.  I used to love pleated jeans, but you just can't get those anymore.  Thank goodness.

From the Saturday Night Live Mom Jeans sketch

According to "Stacy and Clinton of What Not to Wear" the bootcut jean is fairly  low rise and can induce muffin top (my problem), as well it is narrow at the knee and flared at the ankle. This can cause too much room to be given at the thigh, making our hips look wider.  Stacy and Clinton say that the skinny jean emphasizes the curves which can be troublesome. It is tight to the body and narrow at the ankle. Somethimes I think that these will squeeze everything in all the way down and make me look long and lean.  Not so.  They also give me major muffin top, won't stay up, and barely fit anyway.  Apparently the emphasis gets placed on the hip thigh and behind.  A problem.  The two jeans that they recommend are the straight jeans and the trouser jean. The straight cut jean has a line that is straight from knee to ankle and is not as wide as the trouser jean.  It is supposed to be great for and hour glass figure. The trouser jean can be a tab front with a wider waste band that fits wider at the waste and camoflages the thigh. Here's the video link.
http://tlc.discovery.com/videos/what-not-to-wear-how-to-find-the-perfect-pair-of-jeans.html 
I don't know if I'm buying the trouser look as right for me.  I have a pair, and it looks like the classic mom jean on me.  The looseness below my behind, makes me look like I have a flat mom behind, and the straight trouser leg gives me a fat leg look.  I have found recently that jeans with spandex or licra that are supposed to give you extra support actually look worse on me.  They tend to grab around my legs, and give emphasis to those extra curves between my butt and knee.  A heavier jean fabric with as little as possible stretch is actually the best for me.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment