Monday, August 30, 2010

Fashion Forward - I Hope

I have a few style issues.

First of all, everything is black.  Somewhere along the line I learned that black was slimming and sophisticated, but it's also boring and does nothing for my pale complexion.  So then I opt for bright pink or white, and my daughter reminds me that I am dressing like grandma.  She is correct.  Colour then is something I definitely need to work on.

Another problem is that I tend to repeat everything.  If I find something that looks good, I tend to buy the same things year after year.  For example, I buy new beige pants every year to go with a new black top every year.   Why?

Finally, there are things that I am trying to hide.  My hips, my waist or lack thereof, my upper arms.... and so on.  You know they really aren't that bad.

So it's time for me to think outside of the box or my closet so to speak.  Wish me luck.

I've been reading today (before I begin my quest for fall clothes) that women my age can wear more accessories than younger women. http://womensfashion.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_dress_your_age_when_youre_over_50
No.  I want clothes.  I don't want to give up and just accessorize - "because a woman my age can carry it".  No NO.

In another article, I learned that women of a certain age should opt for more classic pieces such as:
a well-cut blazer, good quality blue jeans in dark colour, a classic white shirt, a sheer chiffon blouse, a pencil skirt, a fitted cashmere sweater in dark jewel colours, tailored black pants, a trenchcoat, a little black dress and a long silk scarf.
Well I like the sounds of all of this - but it seems like everything that I have already, and maybe I should just head back to the black section of the store.  I need to do some more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment