Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Over 50 Skin Care

While lounging by the beach this past week, I read a piece about skincare through the decades – (published in Chatelaine’s June 2010 issue) – what to do in your 20s, 30s, 40s and finally your 50s. I’m not sure if Chatelaine thinks we should give up after 50 or just stop buying the magazine once we hit 60. Chatelaine responded to a reader letter to the editor about this. The gist of it was that in the 50s and beyond we just continue with more of the same. I’m not so sure about that. The article is also on their website at: http://en.chatelaine.com/english/style/article.jsp?content=20100409_152052_0003


The article tells us that since our skin is getting dryer – we should try heavier creams or lotions. I know that this may be true for some people, and I’m only approaching 50, but at this phase, while my skin is dryer in some spots, I still will break out if I use heavy creams. Apparently we should also try hyaluronic acid in these creams and to “use a moisturizing mask once a week”. I’m going to give this a try. Also recommended are retinoid products for deep creases, hydroquinone for age spots, and

From the dermatologists: Since skin becomes drier at this age, try heavier creams or lotions that contain hyaluronic acid, which help it retain moisture, and use a moisturizing mask once a week to work against the appearance of wrinkles by plumping up the skin. For deeper creases on your face, try a routine with retinoid products. Hydroquinone products will help treat age spots. “Vitamin K, azulene and anti-glycation serums that help replace collagen” are also suggested. Check out the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment